When bringing home a brand new baby, all types of emotions are elicited including excitement, fear and happiness. Mom has spent the first nine months of baby’s time in utero bonding with the new child. Meanwhile, Dad’s first opportunity to bond presents itself when healthy baby meets world. It seems as if babies are on their best behavior for the hospital nurses, as they are sleepy from their long journey to the “outside world”. Our homes are bright, filled the sounds of life and the smells of our culture. A brand new baby is taking in so much in such a short amount of time, he/she may cry often during the first weeks of adjustment at home.
Parents should be ready for sleepless nights, busy days filled with washing bottles/breastfeeding equipment and clothes, feeding and pamper changing at least every two hours, several baths, sponge baths at a minimum to clean the overflowing diapers and spit up that will inevitabily leak onto areas of the baby’s body that we have yet to explain. Also, be prepared for adoring stares from new baby and the most tiresome, yet rewarding time of a parent’s life.
There are lots of items on the market for new babies; however, many of us find that we had a small useful pile of items and an overwhelming pile of useless items that sat there until we could unload them on another unsuspecting new parent. The most useful items that I utilized for my daughters included:
- A breastfeeding bib blocked me from flashing the world during feedings.
- Air controlled bottles cuts down on some of the gas and discomfort from said gas.
- Aquaphor can be used from head to toe, literally.
- The long blue suctioner from the hospital is a must keep, as the ones sold in stores are simply not long enough to suck out left over mucous from their recent journey.
- Disposable diapers are useful burp cloths, as they are much thicker and absorb more of the infamous spit up than regular cloths.
- A wipe warmer minimizes the cold shock of wet wipes in the middle of the night. Think about it. You’re desperately trying to get your newborn to remain calm and sleepy during middle of the night diaper changes,
- A bottle sanitizer works wonderfully as well. Who has time to stand over a pot of boiling water?
Let’s be honest, the parenting world is otherwise known as survival of the fittest, especially when a new baby arrives. Parenting hacks literally give us “life”.
Enjoy the extra few moments of sanity on me!